Saturday, February 22, 2014

Thoughts on discipleship

I am a disciple of Christ, although I did not live on the earth at the same time that he did, I can walk in his ways.


What is a disciple?  What does being a disciple mean for me? Why choose this path? What do I hope to gain from this experience?


                                                                ... Bannister - Edward Mitchell Bannister Woman Walking down Path Painting

First we have to define discipleship. As taken from Dictionary.com

di·ci·ple [dih-sahy-puhl]  
noun
1. Religion .
a. one of the 12 personal followers of Christ.
b. one of the 70 followers sent forth by Christ. Luke 10:1.
c. any other professed follower of Christ in His lifetime.
2. any follower of Christ.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a member of the Disciples of Christ.
4. a person who is a pupil or an adherent of the doctrines of another; follower: a disciple of Freud. 
verb (used with object), dis·ci·pled, dis·ci·pling.
5. Archaic. to convert into a disciple.
6. Obsolete . to teach; train.
 
 
 
 
A Christian disciple is a lifelong learner, or student studying in the ways of Christ; choosing to walk a path that leads to eternal life with him.
 
Being a disciple means that I choose a different life than that which is popular in society. It means that I choose the better way, even when that way seems a bit hard and goes against popular belief. It means that I make choices that others may not understand. Being a disciple means that I follow that piece of my heart that belongs to Jesus Christ; for he has given me the breath of life.

Why choose this path? Why choose to shy away from popular culture? Why choose that which would seem to be restrictive? I choose this because I see the hope that it gives to those who have and are walking the path. I choose this because it gives me a bright hope for the future. This is the only path gets me to where I ultimately want to be which is; eternal life in the kingdom of God.
 
Being a disciple of Christ gives me a real purpose. It gives me direction. It gives me what I need to have real success. It gives me hope when I feel hopeless. It gives me true comfort and peace. I truly can feel the peace that only he can give. As he says in the scriptures: John 14:27 King James Version (KJV)
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


This passage of scripture speaks to my inner heart. I have felt that peace that only he can give. I choose to live my life in a manner that allows me to feel these feelings often. I choose to feel it now as well as in the eternities. It is my desire. I am not afraid to speak of Christ, I have a desire to share with people my discipleship, and to help them in their own quest for discipleship. I am a learner, I am a student of the Master teacher the one who gives me life; Jesus Christ.
 
I am a God in training.  I will become as he is. This path is not always easy and I will struggle to understand some of the obstacles in my way. I will get tired and feel defeated at times. It is part of the training, pushing me to be more than I ever imagined. I will be his servant, and student.  I will watch and learn. I will help and serve while here upon earth. I look forward to the day when I meet him face to face and he shall say  "well done, thou good and faithful servant"  

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment