Sunday, March 30, 2014

Is there a place for Christ in your life?

Jesus invites us in the scriptures to "come, follow me" We are invited to walk with Jesus and learn from him. We are invited to learn from his words as we walk daily with him.

Walking daily with Christ, what does that mean for you? Does it include prayer, devotion, scripture study and your time and attention? For far to many it means read a verse or two of scriptures, and make sure to check in with a prayer at the end of the day. It is something that we have put on our "to do list". It is something that is a part of our routine along with everything else in life. The trouble is that this is not quite what Jesus had in mind for us.

When our attitude is "I have said my prayer, I read in the scriptures today, I checked in with Jesus"  We are really missing out on what the Savior has to say. It too often looks something like this; Jesus is walking down the path with some of his disciples and everyday we jog by and say to him things like, "hey, I read about Daniel and the lions den today, good thing you saved him from those hungry lions."  The next day it is like, "Hey Jesus, today I read about Job, I am glad you gave him strength to keep going when things got rough. Speaking of thing getting rough, I got to get going on my way, it's going to be a busy, rough day today." This goes on every day, we are jogging by, checking in and telling Jesus what we did and what we read. Then one day, we come to a crossroad, Jesus and his disciples take a turn, We holler down the path at him, "Hey Jesus, today I read about your birth, such a great story" The next day we look down that path he went down and can't really see him but tell the person going down that path "Hey, when you see Jesus tell him......" 

Walking daily with Christ is more than just Checking in every day. It is more than just talking at him as we pass by him. It is taking the time to walk with him, talk with him, spend time observing and learning his ways. It is being on that path with him. It is being aware. It is being engaged with him. 

There is a big difference between making time for Christ in our lives, and taking time to let Christ into our lives.

This is illustrated in the Bible with the story of two sisters, Martha and Mary.
Luke 10:38-42  KJV

38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.


In these short simple verses a great lesson is learned. Martha was busy, she thought she was serving the Lord well. She had great desires to serve him. She would sit and listen to him; just as soon as she got done with all the other things she had going on. She was working hard, she asked for help from her sister to get the work done so that she could make the time to squeeze in a short visit with Christ while he was there. Mary on the other hand, was taking time with Christ while he was there with them. See the difference? 


There is a song that is popular among many Christians. 

He Walks With Me (In The Garden)"

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The son of God discloses.

And he walks with me and he talks with me
And he tells me I am his own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known.

He speaks and the sound of his voice is so sweet
The birds hush their singing
And the melody that he gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

And he walks with me and he talks with me
And he tells me I am his own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known.

I'd stay in the garden with him
Though the night around me is falling
But He bids me go through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling...


 
In this beautiful song it talks about taking the time to go to the garden and be with Christ. This is what a disciple does. A true disciple of Christ does not schedule in time for Jesus. A true disciple takes the time and allows themselves to be taught at the feet of the master.

My prayer for each of you today is that you will take a moment to re-evaluate where you are in your discipleship walk with Christ. If you can only take a moment today with Christ, then do that; But put it into your sights to walk, talk, and tarry a while with Christ tomorrow, and the day after that and so on.  

1 comment:

  1. Featuring you this week on Hearts for Home Blog Hop. Such a good reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete