Monday, May 5, 2014

"Let it go" makes me Freeze in my tracks.



I have been amazed at how the movie "Frozen" has swept the country. The song "let it go" has been belted out and sung over and over so many times it makes one crazy. We hadn't even seen the movie and my kids were singing it everywhere we went. Even my five year old who stays home with me has been swept up with her older sister who learned the words at school. It is such a catchy little song. It gets going around and round in your head (I bet you are singing it right now).  I sometimes find myself singing it and it makes me crazy. Let me tell you why it is so annoying to this Christian Momma.
 
Over the weekend I finally broke down and went to Redbox and rented the movie "Frozen" for the family to see. It seemed like a great idea to have a family movie night.  My 8 year old had been begging me to see it. We went to our local Redbox and my son was so excited he could hardly contain himself. He made sure to announce to everyone in line that we were renting "Frozen". When one of the mothers asked him "How many times have you seen it?" She was shocked by his response that this was his first time to watch it. She went on telling about how her family has watched it dozens of times. "you'll love it!" she said.  There were about three mothers in line that also said, "you'll love it" with one mother adding, "Your Mom will love it too."

We sat down and watched the movie and I was surprised by what I saw. I had heard such great things about it and I was kind of disappointed. It was kind of lacking in storyline, and the dialogue is really cheesy. My husband was annoyed by the songs. But we had to find out what everyone was talking about. We sat and watched as a family. After it was over the son who was so excited to see it was asked how he liked it; he replied, "I haven't made up my mind yet." The only one who was real excited about it was his six year old sister who was in love with Elsa and her beautiful song "let it go"

There are a few things that I do not find appealing or right about the movie. First, is the way Anna is allowed to run rampant in the castle as she is growing up there. So many Disney movies make it seem like this is what princesses do, their home is their domain and they can do whatever the *#$@ they want. We have a generation of "little Disney princesses" growing up that have that same attitude. It makes me really sad. My youngest does not need motivation from the movies to encourage more of this behavior. I work hard to help her to know the rules and obey them. 

Second, is the fact that Anna falls in love and is engaged all within a day. Oh brother, our teenagers think that love is all like that. So many of our young adults are growing up, falling in love, then getting divorced several months later when they find out that life isn't always happily ever after.  I am seeing more and more of it, and it makes me sad that it is becoming acceptable to society.  I am trying to teach my children a different kind of love story, one of never ending love. One of real love such as is found in the Bible.  

Third, The song "let it go" Have you really looked and thought about the lyrics that are going round and round peoples heads?   I have highlighted a few phrases in the lyrics below.

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight,
not a footprint to be seen.
A kingdom of isolation and it looks like I'm the queen.
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside.
Couldn't keep it in, Heaven knows I tried.
Don't let them in, don't let them see.
Be the good girl you always have to be.
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know.
Well, now they know!
Let it go, let it go!
Can't hold it back any more.
Let it go, let it go!
Turn away and slam the door.I don't care what they're going to say.
Let the storm rage on.
The cold never bothered me anyway.
It's funny how some distance,
makes everything seem small.
And the fears that once controlled me, can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do,
to test the limits and break through.
No right, no wrong, no rules for me.
I'm free!
Let it go, let it go.
I am one with the wind and sky.
Let it go, let it go.
You'll never see me cry.
Here I'll stand, and here I'll stay.
Let the storm rage on.
My power flurries through the air into the ground.
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back; the past is in the past!
Let it go, let it go.
And I'll rise like the break of dawn.
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand, in the light of day.
Let the storm rage on!
The cold never bothered me anyway.
These are just a few phrases that go through the kids heads. I even find myself humming "no right, no wrong, no rules for me. I'm free" I catch myself and it makes me so upset. This is NOT what I want going through my head. These words, and especially the attitude associated with this song will infiltrate us and eventually destroy us. Music has such a powerful impact. I listen to Christian music on the radio. The other music has no place in my life anymore.  K-love is about the only radio station we listen to. You can find K-love in most cities. Good music makes a huge difference in our lives, and I am saddened that a little song like this has pushed its way onto the stage leaving little room for anything else.

 There is something else about this song. Elsa was originally set to be the villain in the story. The song "let it go" was written for her character, and it seemed so great, they tweaked the movie and made Elsa more of the hero as opposed to a villain. Think about this, the villain is now the hero?  A warning was given about the last days and about such things. in Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"  I would say that this is a really good example of this and there are more examples all around us.

I was surprised to hear the young people in our congregation sing this song as part of a talent night.
I saw their faces and what I saw amazed me. I could see it in their faces that they were feeling a battle inside. They were seemingly gaining strength to fight the battle as they sang this song, but is this the strength that we want them to gain? I would suggest that this is not the strength of the Lord. Strength in isolation is not it. Strength in numbers, strength in the Lord's ways. (look back at the words again)  In 1 Chronicles 16:11 it says "seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually"  We do not need to do it alone, we cannot do it alone. We need not isolate ourselves, but turn to God and seek his ways. This is what I want my children to learn. Yes, we all have a battle to fight inside of us, but to let it go and give up the fight? Is this really what we want to teach our children, to give into the "natural/carnal minded man" In 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God; for they are foolishness unto him. I want my children to understand and walk with the spirit of God. I want them to learn to use the gifts that God has given them, not hide them, and not to battle inside with the spiritual gifts they have been given.    
  
I know that not everyone would agree with me, but this is where I stand on this movie. It is not a movie that we are going to buy or entertain in our home. It does not teach anything worthwhile for my family in fact it teaches the opposite of what I want. There is the message of true love that melts Anna's frozen heart. It is there, along with some other great messages, but it is overshadowed by the other things. "Let it go" seems to be the overwhelming message of the movie and the part that people remember and relate to. The other messages get lost.

I wish that I could get the song "let it go" out of our lives completely, but that is nearly impossible. So until then, we can tame it, we can be aware, and when we find ourselves entertaining that song (or any other questionable song for that matter)  we can call it off the stage of our mind and replace it with a hymn or song of praise that will be more uplifting to the soul. 



I would urge you to look into your own life, your own soul. If these words have prompted you to take another look at your life, please do so. Make any changes that you find necessary so you  won't drown in the popular culture.  

Blessings to you all,
 Happy Christian Momma
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I also watched the movie and was NOT impressed! But........I loved the music! I'm still not sure what I think about "Let it Go" but this is definitely food for thought! Thanks for a great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you stop watching after that song? I must admit - the song has taken on a life of its own in our house. And unfortunately, I think that song has the worst verbal content of the entire movie. But it isn't the message of the movie! The message of the movie is that her temporary "solution" wasn't one. The message of the movie was that Anna's impulsive engagement was a foolish choice. The primary message of the movie was that real love is sacrificial. We learn that Anna's older relative who loves her was wiser than she and gave good counsel when she said to "wait" on an engagement to this buffoon (my word, not hers). We learn that Elsa couldn't just go off by herself and do whatever she wanted, because she was still hurting people, and because they all needed each other. We see a sister sacrifice for a sister and a friend sacrifice for a friend, and we see what it looks like when a man really does love a woman, as opposed to when he just shows touchy-feely emotion and "sweeps her off her feet." Although Anna's behavior inside the house isn't what I might expect, we're never given any indication that she's breaking rules. Her house itself is so obviously very different from ours that my children have no trouble at all understanding that what's acceptable in her house is not acceptable in our, much smaller house.

    I love the movie. I'm not a big Disney fan of late, but I think they knocked it out of the park with this one. I do find it unfortunate that the catchiest song in the movie happens to be from this part of the story, but Frozen doesn't have the corner on that by a long shot. Even VeggieTales has had this issue on occasion. ("The Bunny" song comes to mind.) One solution in our house has been that in its many reiterations (No, it doesn't just get sung around here; it gets rewritten and sung, too), my husband wrote solid, God-honoring lyrics so when the gorgeous music gets stuck in a head around here there's the option of replacing the cruddy lyrics with good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, yes I did watch the entire movie. Like I said above, the "real message" of the movie tends to be overshadowed by the song "let it go". It is interesting to hear what your family is doing. I would be interested in hearing the lyrics that your husband wrote. I am glad that you and your children are re-writing the lyrics to more appropriate ones. It is helpful. Every family has their own unique challenges and ways that they deal with things that come along. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete